05 June 2012

A Pre-Baby Trip to Italy

Being the spontaneous Euro-loving people they are, my parents decided spur of the moment to rent an apartment in Florence for 3 weeks and invited us to stay with them. Despite the inconvenience of being 7 months pregnant, Nathan and I decided to tag along because I hear bambinos don’t get too much of a thrill from seeing Italian art about until they turn about 20. So being the aspiring spontaneous Euro-loving people that we are, we decided to go.

We were in Florence for the majority of the trip but we took day trips in our rental car all over Tuscany. Plus, since Susan Westover was involved in the planning, a 2-day trip to Venice snuck its way into the itinerary. Tradition holds that my mom cries every time she enters and leaves Venice, and this year did not disappoint. I’m not sure she cried exactly when we entered Venice, but she did cry the night before when we were talking about how excited we were, so I’m counting it. I found myself getting teary upon leaving Venice as well – perhaps it was because of the pregnancy or perhaps all girls really do turn into their moms (especially when there are babies on the horizon).

Nathan & my parents were a delight to travel with. Thanks Mom, Dad, & Nathan for making me feel like I wasn’t slowing you down even though I sat on every museum bench and waited in every bathroom line in all of Italy.

And for those of you hoping to see some baby bump photos, your curiosity shall be satisfied!


No comments: